Normandy Historians - Home Page
Dictionary of Place and House Names
with their Derivations

Top of Page

Acacia Cottage, Bailes Lane

Built in about 1930 and first occupied by Mr and Mrs Rascal. It was renamed Tyddyn in 1958 by Capt and Mrs Jones.

Alda Cottage, Station Road

now Alder Cottage, Glaziers Lane.

Alder Cottage, Glaziers Lane

previously Alda Cottage, acronym of the initial letter of the Ansell family – Albert, Lilian, Doris and Ansell.

Alfriston House, Guildford Road

built in the late 1920s by William Henry (Bill) Wiltshire. Origin of name unknown.

Alverstoke, 9 Pirbright Road

named by Jack Kinder after his mother’s home parish now part of Gosport. The sign over the porch is that from his maternal uncle’s home at 119 Churchill Avenue, Foleshill, Coventry.

Amble Cottage, 13 Pirbright Road

named by present owner/occupiers.

Anchor Close

previously site of Anchor PH, demolished July 2000.

Andora, Elm Hill

is now Reay Houae.

Appletrees, Glaziers Lane

was Pakefield, the original Normandy Telephone Exchange.

Applewood, Flexford Road

was Gradatim.

Argwenan, Guildford Road

is now Brookhouse, The name "Argwenan" is made up of family forenames AR (Arthur - father), GWEN (Gwen – mother) and EAN (Jeanie – daughter).

Top of Page

Bailes Lane, Willey Green

The earliest known name was Cleygate Lane, possibly because it was the principal “Way” from Flexford to Wood Street Village with a divide of the Way at Cleygate Copse, passing Cleygate Barn to Willey Green. In the mid 19th Century it was called “Willey Green Lane”, subsequently Bale’s Lane or Bail’s Lane in the early 1900s and finally Bailes Lane.

Bailes Farm, Bailes Lane

was known as Beadles Place, Bales Place, Bales Farm (1820), Bail’s Farm from about 1922 and finally Bailes Farm.

Barbernie, Flexford Road

named by Barbara and Bernard Bamford (the original owner/occupier), from the first syllable of their Christian names.

Bassendean, Station Road

sometimes spelt Bassendene. Origin unknown but believed to be a place in Australia. It is now "Stonesthrow". Station Road was renamed Glaziers Lane.

Beech Lane

was before World War II called Railway Lane.

4 Beech Lane

was The Glen.

Bernay, Westwood Lane

named after a village in France used as a “rest village” during WWI. Many timber dwellings within the village were named after French and Belgium towns and villages.

Berrywood, Guildford Road

was “Norboro”, built and occupied in 1922 by Doug and Elsie Roberts. When the Horsey family purchased the house from the Roberts it was renamed “Berrywood”. The Roberts took the name Norboro to their new bungalow.

Biolette, Westwood Lane

now Dartmeet. It was the home of the Goddard family until 1948.

Boomerang, Bailes Lane

now Pembroke.

Brambley Cottage, Glaziers Lane

was part of Potters Villas.

Bon Air, Glaziers Lane

is now New Haven.

Brickfields, Flexford Lane

was seven cottages but all have been converted into one dwelling.

Brickyard Cottages, Flexford Lane

now one dwelling, known simply as Brickfields.

Bromble, Westwood Lane

Up until 1968, when purchased by Mr & Mrs Newman, the house was owned and occupied by Mr & Mrs Ball and their seven children. Previously, this family had lived in Bromley, Kent but their youngest child could only pronounce Bromley as “Bromble” and so as a reminder of their roots, their new house at Christmas Pie was named Bromble.

Brookhouse, Guildford Road

was Argwenan

Bryndals, Glaziers Lane

anagram of letters from the names of the Grainger family, the first owner/occupiers. Br from Brian, Yn from Lynne, Al from Paul and Ds from Sandra.

Buckhurst, Westwood Lane

It was the stable block of Westwood, the Coussmaker family home and was possibly built in the late 18th Century to a design by Lannoy Richard Coussmaker. In 1961 the stables were converted to the designs of Philip Hepworth, the eminent Neo-Georgian architect, into this elegant family home. The house was named Buckhurst after the name for Westwood Farm on Willock's map of 1778.

Burley, Guildford Road

another of the three concrete houses built by the Instone family and so named after Burley Manor House in the New Forest. Ruth Instone, wife of Alfred J Instone and formerly Kercher, once worked as a servant at Burley Manor House. The original house, built in about 1926 was demolished in 1997 and replaced by a larger and more modern one than the original.

Bushetts Bungalow, Glaziers Lane

the site of which is occupied by “Fiddlers” (previously “Fiddlers Hall”).

Top of Page

Calshot, Normandy Common

demolished and replaced with Fair Oaks.

Calvados, Guildford Road

probably named as a pun on Cognac, which is grape brandy, whereas Calvados is apple brandy made in Normandy.

Camden, Flexford Road

demolished in about 1995/96 to form Laureldene.

Camelot, Guildford Road

was Isington.

Canonslea, Flexford Road

now Pencarrow, Willow Drive. Canonslea was a poultry small holding but the land was sold and developed as Willow Drive.

Ceda Cottage, Guildford Road

origin of name unknown. Was Whins.

Chandlers Cottage, Guildford Road

now The Homestead and previously known as The Old Homestead in the late 18th C and early 19th C.

Chapel Farm, Guildford Road

was Heathers. Also known as Bedells, Bedlars or Beadles. In 1607, the gate in Henley Park at Willey Green was known as Bedells Gate and just inside the Park was Bedells Oak (Norden's map). When Charles Hellard, (a retired Captain of Army) purchased the farm and its 5 acres in 1922 it had no name. The family called it Chapel Farm because of its close proximity to the Normandy Chapel.

Chez Nous, Station Road

is now Dolphin Cottage.

Christmas Pie Avenue

was Flexford Close.

Christmaspie Cottages

was Christmaspie Farm. The old farmhouse was firstly split and converted into a gamekeeper’s cottage and a lodging-house for farm workers and finally into individual cottages.

Christmas Pie Road

now Green Lane East, the western part of which has been the site of a successful archaeological ‘dig’ to expose the foundations of a Romano-British Temple and also that of a Celtic Temple.

Church House, School Lane

was ‘School House’ until the late 1990s.

Churston, Glaziers Lane

designed and built between 1975 and 1976 by the present owner-occupiers Mr and Mrs K Lenthall and named after the village of Churston, a small village near Brixham, to remind them of family holidays spent in South Devon.

Como, Guildford Road

was Mariners but renamed Como in about 1924. Post 1938 it reverted to Mariners.

Coorabelle, Glaziers Lane

now High Gables.

Corner Shop, Station Road

is now Old Corner Cottage.

Cosmos, Christmas Pie Avenue

now 48 Christmas Pie Avenue. Margaret and Peter Mathews first met as students in Paris and when married in 1951 spent their honeymoon in ‘Hotel Cosmos’. On 5 November 1954, as original occupier/owners of their new bungalow they named it ‘Cosmos’.

Crackers, Green Lane East

was Valetta. Mr and Mrs Bishop renamed the house when they bought it in about 1957. They thought they were crackers to have bought it. Roger and Marguerite Brinkley bought the house in 1960 and thought the name befitted the area of Christmas Pie and other Christmasy names.

Cronk-ny-irrey-laa, Bailes Lane

built in about 1957 and named by Mr Mason-Hudson, the first owner/occupier of the house, after the mountain on the Isle of Man (Hill of the morning sun). His grandfather farmed on the southern slopes of the mountain.

Culls Road

named after Charles Frederick Cull, a local builder.

Top of Page

Dakka, Glaziers Lane

now called The Firs.

Dardoni, Glaziers Lane

named by William (Bill) Olley, the first owner/occupier in 19**, after a Hill Fort in India in which he served during World War I.

Dartmeet, Westwood Lane

was Biolette.

Deanlands, Guildford Road

was Glenmore when owned by the Deedman family but renamed Deanland in about 1950.

Dewfain, Guildford Road

acronym of the initial letter of the names of the Baker family – Daniel, Edward, William, Frank, Arthur, Iris and Nellie. Was originally known as Deedman’s Cottages.

Dickies Pantry, Station Road

now High Trees. See Gradeley, Station Road.

Dolleys Hill, Pirbright Road

Land bordering what was later called Normandy Park Road and enclosed from the waste of the Manor of Cleygate was granted to Daniel Dolley in 1782 and held as a copyhold. This land became the home for The Dolley Family and is perpetuated in the name of Dolleys Hill.

Dolphin Cottage, Glaziers Lane

was Chez Nous.

Downton, Green Lane East

The original owners called it “Downton” as a reminder of their previous home in London believed to be either Downton Crescent or Downton Place.

Top of Page

Elstowe, Guildford Road

now known as Victoria House.

Top of Page

Festubert, 2 Willey Green Cottages, Guildford Road

was 2 Willey Green Cottages until Amy and Harry Woods moved into the house in about 1919 when they named it “Festubert” in memory of Amy’s brother ‘Bert’ Hunt, who was wounded at the battle of Festubert during WWI.

Fiddlers, Glaziers Lane

was Fiddlers Hall until about 1985.

Fiddlers Hall, Glaziers Lane

was Joes Bungalow but possibly and presumably renamed when acquired by the Hall family.


a settlement located under the north slopes of the Hogs Back known and recorded in 1319 as “Flaxwere in Asshe” for making flax. A flax pond is evident at Little Flexford and may soon be graded as an ancient monument.

Flexford Close

now Christmas Pie Avenue.

Folly Hatch Cottages

were located on the eastern side of Folly Hatch Lane, a bridleway. The cottages were demolished in the late 1940s and not replaced.

Folly Hatch Farm

previously, 1 & 2 Wyke Lane Cottages.

Forsythia, Glaziers Lane

was 1 Station Cottages.

Fox Lodge, Guildford Road

was The Firs, Slade Lane.

Foyle Cottage, Guildford Road

is one of a group of three cottages previously known as Steadmans Cottages when owned by the Steadman family - two sisters, who lived in Australia and a brother Arthur, who living locally collected the rent. In 1939 Joseph and Daisy Duffy, recently married and as tenants of one cottage, were given the opportunity to buy their cottage named Foyle Cottage by Joseph after his roots in Ireland - the River Foyle.

Freemoor, Guildford Road

was ‘White Stubbs’ but renamed ‘Freemoor’ in 1998 by Mr and Mrs Peter Padley-Smith.


a Saxon settlement, the beginning of Normandy proper. Meaning Frele’s (an unrecorded person) and Worth a clearing or enclosure.

Top of Page

Garth Cottage, Glaziers Lane

was Garth.

Garth, Station Road

is now Garth Cottage.

Genevieve, Pirbright Road

was Dolleys Hill Cottages, renamed by the current owners Sylvia and Tony Kellerman. Tony worked for a vintage car restoration company, “Plugs and Spanners” of Ashford, Middlesex that restored a 1905 8hp Darracq, which was sold and sold until eventually was bought by the film company that made the film “Genevieve” starring John Gregson , Kay Kendall and Kenneth More.

Ghezirah, Normandy Park Road

now called Willowroo.

Glaziers Lane

In its earlier days it was known as Bramble Lane, then Glaziers Lane but when Wanborough Station was built in 1891 the road was made up by the Railway Company as far as the station and renamed Station Road, reverting to Glaziers Lane in the 1950s.

Glaziers Bungalow, Glaziers Lane

was No 1 Glaziers Bungalows.

1 & 2 Glaziers Bungalows, Glaziers Lane

No 1 Glaziers Bungalow was renamed “Glaziers Bungalow” in 2006 when the adjoining bungalow (No 2) was sold and renamed “Greenfields”.

Glenmore, Guildford Road

now called Deanlands, possibly renamed in about 1950 when occupied by the Doggrell family.

Glifada, Guildford Road

named after a resort in Athens, but also occurs in Crete and Corfu.

Gradatim, Flexford Road

now Applewood.

Gradeley, Station Road

now High Trees, Glaziers Lane. Between about 1930 and the late 1940s it was a shop variously known as ‘Celines Drapers’, ‘The Emporium’, Rangers’ and finally in 1950 called ‘Dickies Pantry’ until about 1988 when it became High Trees.

Greenfields, Glaziers Lane

was No 2 Glaziers Bungalows.

Top of Page

Halsey’s Cottage, Glaziers Lane

from at least 1550 until 1869 was known as Marvynes, Marvines or Marlins a smallholding of 13 acres. It was owned by the Halsey family for nearly 150 years but has been known by its present name since about 1922.

Halam, Flexford Road

built by Charles Cull in 1935 and probably named by The Reverend A B Maskin, the original occupier, who had lived previously at Halam Vicarage, Halam near Nottingham. Part of the garden was sold in 1995 to form the development of “Laureldene”.

Hartfield, Westwood Lane

was Nutshell.

Hartswood, Guildford Road

was The Willows.

Heathers, Guildford Road

now known as Chapel Farm.

Heatherside, Pirbright Road

was No 3 Hillview Cottages.


the name means a ‘high clearing’, which aptly describes the area known generally as Henley Park, which includes the recently renovated Mansion House, the adjacent new housing with the mansion house gardens to the south, Henley Park Farm and Vokes extracted from the estate in the 1940s. In its history of over 1000 years, the name ‘Henley’ has had various spellings.

Henley Park

the park or park grounds of Henley became a Royal Park in about 1356, the southern boundary of which was then the Guildford Road, the present A323 at the ‘Duke of Normandy’ Public House, Willey Green.

Heritage Cottages, Glaziers Lane

these six houses were built in 1987/1988 on the site of the demolished Preston House (Normandy Butchers).

High Gables, Glaziers Lane

was Coorabelle.

High Trees, Glaziers Lane

was Gradeley.

Highfield, Pirbright Road

was No 2 Hillview Cottages.

Hillair, Bailes Lane

built and named in the early 1930s, was the home of the Hobbs family.

Hill Cottage, Bailes Lane

was Hillair but renamed in the early 1960s.

Hillcrest, 2 Pirbright Road

was 2 Pirbright Cottages. Near summit of Hunts Hill.

Hillcroft, 1 Pirbright Road

was 1 Pirbright Cottages. Near summit of Hunts Hill.

Hillview Cottages, Pirbright Road

four cottages , now respectively Well Cottage, Highfield, Heatherside and Normandy Cottage.

Holne Chase, Guildford Road

Named in 1929 by Leslie and Beatrice Grimshaw after Holne Chase Hotel, Holne, their honeymoon hotel on the edge of Dartmoor.

Hunters Lodge, Glaziers Lane

was Fontstock Barn.

Hyannis, Guildford Road

Brian Evans was the original owner of Hyannis built in 1956. In 1955 he and his brother were on holiday in the USA and visited Cape Cod where in December 1620 the Pilgrim Fathers landed from “The Mayflower” and were greeted by an aboriginal North American Indian chief called “Hyannis”.

Top of Page

Idyll, Beech Lane

now known as Lonicera.

Isington, Guildford Road

named by Elizabeth (of Isington) and William Henry in memory of their marriage at the Parish Church at Binsted. Viscount Field Marshall Montgomery of Alamein, born in London in 1887 of Northern Irish stock is buried in the churchyard at Binsted.

Top of Page

Jacaranda, Guildford Road

now Quinault.

Jacksden, Guildford Road

built in 1925 and occupied by John and Elizabeth Reid and later their son Leslie until 1955.

Joes Bungalow, Glaziers Lane

now called Fiddlers, previously Fiddlers Hall. The name of the bungalow first appears in about 1925. In the 1930s Miss Josephine Duncan lived there and it is reasonable to presume that the dwelling is so-named as the diminutive of Josephine. She was resident until at least 1949.

Top of Page

Kasauli, Glaziers Lane

named after a hill-village in The Himalayas (the location of the animal-testing station for India), visited by Bob Jones, who stayed there in a Rest-House complete with a log fire, reminding him, at the time, of his home in England.

Kelton, Bailes Lane

built and named by David McMichan in 1938. The precise origin is unknown. However, there is a “Kelton” near Durham and another in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. It is possible that David, (with a Scottish surname), named the bungalow after his home roots. In 1937 David lived at Bon-air, Station Road.

Kenanian, Glaziers Lane

one of four houses built on the previous Red Leys site.

Kendra, Guildford Road

In 2011, Wendy and Martin Marshall, of Sunbeam Wells Lane, built a bungalow in what was the garden of 'Dewfain' Guildford Road, and in keeping with the derivation of the naming of “Dewfain” named the new bungalow “Kendra”; the name of the daughter of the previous occupants of Dewfain' at the time of purchase by Wendy and Martin.

Kilaguni, Pirbright Road

was 4 Pirbright Cottages, Pirbright Road. Originally named by James and Norma Sharrock, owners from 1965 to 1971. The name is a native South African word meaning “A waterhole for buffalos”. James had been an army officer and stationed in South Africa. It is now 4 Pirbright Road.

Kynance, Bailes Lane

Mr Bowles named the house after the village of Kynance near Kynance Cove in Devon. He was evacuated there during World War II. Whilst living at Normandy he worked as a Thames Lighterman and on retirement, returned to Kynance, Devon.

Top of Page

Lane End Cottage Glaziers Lane

was Roseway until 1973.

Larchfield, Hunts Hill Road

Mr and Mrs Barber acquired the building plot in the early 1930s, noting that it was a field containing Larch trees. The house, when built, was named Larchfield as a reminder of their first impression of their home to be.


small new estate developed in 1995/96 on land formed from the demolition of “Camden” and partly from the garden of “Claymore” and “Halam”.

Linden Lea, Christmas Pie Ave

named in about 1952 by Maidie and Walter Chattaway from the song of that name by reason of their joint love of music and song.

Little Dean, Glaziers Lane

built on the site of ‘Rose Cottage’ demolished 17 December 1955.

Little Flexford

named by Judy and Newman Turner in late 1990s. Dwelling converted from outbuildings of their previous home Little Flexford now renamed The Old Stud Farm.

Longerend Farm, Hunts Hill Road & Longerend Cottage, Normandy Common Lane

origin of the name Longerend is unknown but probably both farm and cottage have a co-joined history. Both are old and the cottage has a history of named owners and occupiers from 1675. An earlier name of the cottage might well have been Haggles Farm.

Lonicera, Beech Lane

was Idyll but renamed by Dennis and Eileen Notley in 1968.

Lynthorne, Guildford Road

in 1922 Lynthorne was a 9-acre smallholding including the village smithy and a 12-room house named Tatters (a listed building since demolished). Although most of the plot is subdivided and occupied by dwellings, one of which perpetuates the name. Origin of the name is unknown.

Top of Page

Maiden Vale, Bailes Lane

was Crenland.

Midfield, Bailes Lane

was Wabasso.

Manor Bungalow, Glaziers Lane

Ashleigh, Little Manor and Silverwood occupy the site of the demolished Manor Bungalow.

Mariners, Guildford Road

in the 1860s it was owned and occupied by James Horne, the Wesleyan preacher for the District. Later, in about 1890, John Horne (possibly a descendant of James) opened the front of the house as a grocers shop and renamed it Como.

Marvines, Glaziers Lane

a black and white building c1550, now Halsey’s Cottage.

Maywood, Station Road

demolished to make way for the construction of Culls Road in the late 1930s.

Melomel, 6 Pirbright Road

was 6 Pirbright Cottages. Origin unknown. Melomel is a wine made from flowers.

Melrose Cottage, Pirbright Road

was Melrose, but following demolition in 2003 it was rebuilt and, although initially known as Melrose, was renamed as Melrose Cottage in June 2004.

Melrose, Pirbright Road

now Melrose Cottage.

Merrydown, Glaziers Lane

built in about 1907 was formerly 2 West View, Station Road.

Milton Close, Glaziers Lane

Site of the former Roman Catholic Church, Glaziers Lane and named in recognition of the Milton family of Normandy.
In August 1931, F G Gaskin, the father of Fr. Kevin Gaskin, brought from Ditchling, Sussex by tractor and trailer, a wooden building used previously by Canadian Army Officers during World War I. It was re-erected in just over a month on land given by Mrs. Milton, a devout Catholic and wife of Arthur Milton, the owner of the local Manor Fruit Farm. Initially the building was designated as a “Chapel-of-Ease” but in 1932 attained “Parish Status” when Fr Bayliss became Resident Priest, remaining so until 1934. A church for Catholic families was now firmly established. The main structure of that original building remained the shell of the present Catholic Church of St. Mary, Normandy until Saturday the 31st May 2003 when the Bishop of Arundel and Brighton conducted the last service and Mass”.

Mistletoe Cottage, Flexford Road

was Shangri-La but renamed in late 1990s.

Moonfleet,Glaziers Lane

Origin unknown but believed named by the first owners Mr & Mrs Scott after the book so entitled by author John Meade Falkner.

Top of Page

Netherwitton, Westwood Lane

named by Fred Hibberd in memory of being stationed at Netherwitton, Northumberland during WWII.

Nevasa, Westwood Lane

The earliest record we have of this dwelling is in 1925 when it was listed as a bungalow and garden belonging to Sidney Salter.
The name “Nevasa” was used for three ships owned by the British India Steam Navigation Company. Of these, the last two were used as troopships mainly on routes to and from the East and Far East.
It was the practice for the Company to name many of their ships from locations in the sub-continent and sure enough Nevasa is a city in the Nevasa teksil of Ahemednagar district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. There is a famous temple of Shani called Shani Shinguapur located near Nevasa.
It is possible that Mr. Salter named his bungalow from the troopship, which must have been the Nevasa II, or he may have been stationed in India in the area of the city of Nevasa.

New Haven, Glaziers Lane

was Bon Air.

Normandy Common Lane

Properties were addressed as ‘Normandy Common’ but re-addressed to Normandy Common Lane in 2004.

Normandy Cottage, Pirbright Road

was No 4 Hillview Cottages.

Normandy Hill Farm

known in the 1920s as 1 & 2 Halsey’s Cottages, Normandy Hill, part of the Henley Park estate owned by HJT Halsey Esq.

Normandy Hill Cottage, Normandy Common

was 1 & 2 Osborn(e) Cottages from about 1930 until 1958 when they were converted into one dwelling and renamed Normandy Hill Cottage. Is now Normandy Hill House.

Normandy Hill House, Normandy Common Lane

was Normandy Hill Cottage, Normandy Common but was renamed in 2004 by Mr and Mrs Charles.

Norboro, Guildford Road

built and occupied by Doug and Elsie Roberts in 1954. He was born in Normandy and she, when a small child, moved with her father and mother to Wanborough. “Norboro” is formed from the two village names. Is now called Stonehaven.

Northrepps Cottage, Green Lane East

was Thistledown, but changed to present name in 1953 by new owner/occupier Mrs F P Richardson, late of Northrepps Cottage , West Hill Road, Woking.

Nutshell, Westwood Lane

Origin unknown but re-named in about 1920 to Hartfield.

Top of Page

Old Corner Cottage, Glaziers Lane

was Corner Shop.

Old Hall Close

these houses, located at the junction of Glaziers Lane and the Guildford Road (A323), occupy the site of the previous Normandy Village Hall established in 1921 and demolished in 2002.

Old Thatch, Pirbright Road

was The Bungalow. Present name given by previous owners Arthur and Harriet Haydon by reason of the thatched roof of the original single-storey cottage on the former smallholding held by the Collier family.

Orwil, Glaziers Lane

named by Mr and Mrs Ordish, the first owner/occupiers and is derived from the coupling of the first syllable of his surname and that of her maiden name of Williams.

Osborn(e) Cottages, Normandy Common

origin unknown. So named from around the 1930s. A photograph of the period shows a name-board “ Osborn Cottages 1 & 2” above the windows on the front elevation. The keystone of one window has inscribed “17” the other “37” indicating that the two cottages, were built in the 18th Century. In 1958 he cottages were purchased by Geoffrey and Carol Elms, converted into one dwelling and renamed Normandy Hill Cottage.

Top of Page

Pakefield, Station Road

now Appletrees, Glaziers Lane. From 1927 to 1940 it was the Normandy Telephone Exchange until the new exchange was built in Glaziers Lane. In 1981 the exchange was redundant and is now the United Reformed Church.

Pear Tree Cottage

3 Pirbright Road, previously 3 Pirbright Cottages.

Pembroke, Bailes Lane

built in about 1957 was Boomerang, an Australian name. Named Pembroke by Mrs Margaret Ray (owner/occupier until late 1970s) in recognition of her Welsh roots.

Pencarrow, Willow Drive

was Canonslea, Flexford Road, a poultry small holding.

Pilgrims Latch, Bailes Lane

previously, Deedman’s Cottages, Willey Green.

Potters Villas, Glaziers Lane

now Brambley Cottage and Vaglefield.

Pritchells, Wells Lane

has been known by this name since the middle of the 15th Century. In the 17th Century was two cottages and at one time was known as Nos 1&2 Deedman’s Cottages but reverted to Pritchells when again one dwelling. Possible derivation being a blacksmith’s tool, a form of bradawl or punch. . The round piercing in the surface of the anvil is called the Pritchell hole. Another derivation is from Old English “to Pritchell” – to stake a claim from waste-land.

Top of Page

Quinault Guildford Road

was Jacaranda.

Quinta Cottage, Normandy Hill

was from 1918 to 1924 called number 3 Halsey’s Cottages. Louise Baker, the tenant in 1925, named it ‘La Quinta’. ‘Quinta’ is of Portuguese/Spanish origin, meaning a country house with a vineyard, the rent of which was one-fifth (quinta parte) of the produce. By 1926 the name had been anglicised to ‘The Quinta’. Miss Marten, who lived there for 35 years from the 1940s, renamed it Quinta Cottage. On some maps it is incorrectly labelled ‘Quincy Cottage’.

Top of Page

Railway Lane

now Beech Lane although for a few years both names were in common use.

Rangewell, 5 Pirbright Road

combination of ‘Range’ from WD ranges and ‘well’ from which the original water supply was taken. Name given by previous owners Tom and Diane Pine. Was 5 Pirbright Cottages.

Reay House, Elm Hill

was one of three houses built of concrete in about 1926 by the Instone family on land purchased by Alfred J Instone and originally named Andora, by Cleft Instone’s (Alfred’s son) after his wife’s (Netta), two sisters Ann and Dora. Following the death of Netta, the name of the house was changed to Reay House in recognition of the birth place of a possible Instone antecedent from Reay in Scotland.

Redlands, Glaziers Lane

one of four houses built on the previous Red Leys site.

Red Leys, Glaziers Lane

was built about 1925, initially occupied by Mr and Mr Kirsch and subsequently by Mr and Mrs Martin who developed Red Leys as a home for children with long term illnesses, in need of respite care and later with some problem children.  Following the death of Mrs Martin on the 6th February 1983, the house was sold, demolished and the site redeveloped to accommodate four new houses named respectively Red Leys, Kenanian, Tahoe and Redlands.

Ringwood, Pirbright Road

origin unknown. In 1908 James Blaber (then head teacher of Wyke School) purchased land and made three building plots. Ringwood was built on the westernmost plot. In later years it was the home of the Barnes family. Major Barnes was Commandant of the local Home Guard in WWII.

Rose Cottage, Glaziers Lane

was demolished 17 December 1955 and replaced with the bungalow ‘Little Dean’.

Rosewood, Pirbright Road

was Ringwood.

Top of Page

Sands, Westwood Lane

was Bramdene. Renamed by Stanley and Sylvia Robertson, the present owner/occupiers, from the initial letter of their first name, Sylvia and Stan.

Sandy Lane, Willey Green

Earliest known name was “Reddy Sturt Lane” in 1669, later to be known as “Red Street Lane”, possibly so named because of the redness of the sand-lined steep banks of the lane. The lane was the principal “Way”, suitable for horse-drawn cart (there was no Guildford Road until the late 19th C,) from Frog Grove Lane, Wood Street Village to Willey Green. As “Sandy Lane” it is designated as a BOAT (Bridle Way suitable for all traffic) but in truth is suitable for horse and rider and footway only.

Sark, Glaziers Lane

the house was built for Charles and Vera Barrett by ‘Charlie Cull’ of Christmaspie and was so named by them after the Channel Island where they honeymooned.

School House, School Lane

until sold in the late 1990s by the Church Wardens of St Mark’s Church it was the home of the school caretaker and Sexton but is now renamed ‘Church House’.

Shangri-La, Flexford Road

named by Mr and Mrs William Woodcock when first occupied in 1939, now Mistletoe Cottage.

Silver Trees, Guildford Road

was Jacksden. Renamed Silver Trees in 1958 by Jim and Audrey Chisnall.

Snippins, Flexford Road

named by Mary and Raymond March, the original owner/occupiers in recognition of their professional role as carpet suppliers and installers.

Sonnleiten, Westwood Lane

the bungalow, one of four and the last ones to be built by ‘Charlie’ Cull in 1957 was named by the original and present owner/occupiers David and Joyce Pamplin. Sonnleiten is the name of a holiday hotel located on a hillside overlooking Salzburg, in which they stayed, prior to the completion of the bungalow. A local translation would be ‘sun shining onto a sloping hillside’.

Spring Cottages, Pirbright Road

now 10 and 11 Pirbright Road so named from the spring that rises in the north-western corner of the former smallholding, was 10 and 11 Pirbright Cottages.

Springhill, Pirbright Road

was Warders Cottage in Henley Park Road or Dolleys Hill, both of which are now known as Pirbright Road. The dwelling is so named after the spring that rises in the garden. The house is located at the summit of the steep rise of the road.

St Catherines, Bailes Lane

previously Deedman’s Cottages, Willey Green.

1 & 2 Station Cottages, Glaziers Lane

renamed respectively Forsythia and Thorn cottage.

Station Road

now Glaziers Lane.

Stillford, Guildford Road

named by Tony and Veronica Stillaway from coupling ‘Still’ and ‘Ford’, the latter from Veronica’s maiden name of Byford.

Stonesthrow, Glaziers Lane

was called Bassendean/Bassendene. It was renamed in 1971 by the present owner/occupiers Christine and Trevor Wilks as a pun on ‘glaziers’ and ‘glass’ and the saying ‘people in greenhouses shouldn’t throw stones’. The dwelling is opposite what was Manor Fruit Farm with its then acres of greenhouses.

Stonehaven, Guildford Road

was Norboro, renamed by Celia Stone in 2004.

Strawberry Cottage

was located in a pasture of about 8 acres lying between Normandy Park Road (now Pirbright Road) and Guildford Road, the A323 but probably demolished c1920. A small animal shelter and feed store possible now occupies the site of that cottage.

Sunbeam, Guildford Road

was originally known as Deedman’s Cottages. When owned by the Baker family (living in the adjoining Dewfain), Sunbeam was chosen by Daniel Baker from nature to match the Dew of Dewfain.

Syndal, Glaziers Lane

named after a Sheep Station (Farm), in Australia.

Szabo Crescent

named after Violette Szabo, the Special Operations Executive heroine of World War II, who was trained in espionage at nearby Wanborough Manor.

Top of Page

Tahoe, Glaziers Lane

one of four houses built on the previous Red Leys site.

Tatters, Guildford Road

a “black and white”, once listed building now demolished, and originally in the Lynthorne smallholding. The site is now occupied by Stillway and Glifada.

The Bungalow, Pirbright Road

now Old Thatch.

The Club, Westwood Lane

now Brookvale. Established as a Working Mans’ Club and flourished between 1934 and 1954.

The Crib, Guildford Road

is now Normandy Motor Cycles. The Crib or The Crib Stores flourished as a grocers shop between about 1920 and 1939.

The Elms, Glaziers Lane

Occupied by W Field from 19** until 1935. Now called The White House.

The Firs, Glaziers Lane

was Dakka.

The Firs, Slade Lane

now called Fox Lodge, Guildford Road.

The Glen, Beech Lane

numbered 4 Beech Lane in about 2010.

The Hardie Hole, 6 Pirbright Road

was Melomel. Present name given by Michael and Louise Stanton by reason of Michael’s trade of decorative ironwork. A hardie hole is a square piercing in the top surface of a blacksmith’s anvil for holding accessories. The round piercing is a Pritchell hole.

The Hollies, Guildford Road

was originally known as Deedman’s Cottages.

The Homestead, Guildford Road

in the late 18th C and early 19th C was known as Chandlers Cottage and The Old Homestead.

The Old Homestead, Guildford Road

now The Homestead.

The Old Stud Farm

was Little Flexford, previously Little Flexford Farm originally Stud Farm.

The Rest, Westwood Lane

Mr. Albert Durbridge (Ted) was left with a small amount of money following the purchase of the building plot from Mr Brakes and turning to his family said: “this is all we have left in the world and there’s the rest”, pointing to the plot.

The White House, Glaziers Lane

was The Elms. Occupied by W Bevan from 1935 until 19**.

Thistledown, Green Lane East

is now Northrepps Cottage. The original name was given by the first owner/occupier, Mrs Jane Mary Ashby, in 1922.

The Willows, Beech Lane

was “Weenestie”, demolished in about 1957 and replaced with a new bungalow.

The Willows, Guildford Road

named, built and occupied in about 1930 by James Garman, builder of South Street Guildford. A feature of the locality is the willows that grow profusely along the adjoining stream. The name of the house may originate from the presence of these trees. It is now called Hartswood.

Thorn Cottage, Glaziers lane

was 2 Station Cottages.

Toulon, Green Lane East

named by Vernon Edwards after the French town and in keeping with the tradition of naming dwellings in the village with WWI association.

Tyddyn, Bailes Lane

Built in about 1930 and first occupied by Mr and Mrs Rascal when it was named Acacia Cottage. In 1958 it was occupied by Capt and Mrs Jones, who renamed it Tyddyn, Welsh for a small farm holding (according to a Welsh/English dictionary). Interestingly, Bailes Lane was once tree-lined but the Acacia tree remains.

Two Jays, Glaziers Lane

built in 1962 and named by June and John Grove the first owner/occupiers. It is a pun using the initial letter of each other’s Christian name.

Top of Page

Vaglefield, Glaziers Lane

was part of Potters Villas.

Valetta, Christmaspie Road

now “Crackers”, Green Lane East. It was probably named by Frederick and Agnes Aldridge (the first occupiers) in 1929.

Victoria House, Guildford Road

was Elstowe.

Top of Page

Wabasso, Bailes Lane

now called Midfield.

Walden Cottages

These houses were built for the Local Authority on a field then part of Westwood Farm, previously out of the Westwood Estate. In the 19th Century the farm was called Walden's Farm. To the east, between Westwood Lane and Glaziers Lane is Walden’s Copse.

Warders Cottage, Pirbright Road

now Springhill, Pirbright Road.

Watt House, 4 Pirbright Road

named Watt House in 2001 by the new owner/occupiers Lee and Karen Rickard. Lee’s business interest is ‘lighting’ (photontechnik). Watt is a unit of electric energy.

Weenestie, Beech Lane

was the home of the Warner family until about 1957 when it was demolished and replaced with a new bungalow “The Willows”.

Well Cottage, Pirbright Road

was No 1 Hillview Cottages.

Wells Lane

a modern name given by Guildford Borough Council denoting the preponderance of wells in the immediate locality. Was known colloquially as Pritchells Lane.

Westgarth, Bailes Lane

Named in 1934 by Mr and Mrs Stanley Jones after the name of their honeymoon home at Robin Hood’s Bay, Yorkshire – a practice couples did at that time.

Westwood Lane

modern name of principal road from Guildford Road to Hogs Back.

Westwood Road

During 1920s sometimes also called Westwood Lane.

West View, Station Road

Cottages 1 & 2 were built about 1907 but are now known as Willow Cottage and Merrydown.

West Wyke Cottages

now West Wyke Farm.

West Wyke Farm

was two cottages, known as West Wyke Cottages.

Whins, Guildford Road

built and occupied by Ernest and Mary Rice in about 1929. Origin of name unknown. Now named Cedar Cottage.

Whitchurt, Guildford Road

built by Albert Chant and occupied by he and his wife Edith Mary in 1927. The name is derived from ‘Whit’ of Whiteparish (a village in Wiltshire) and ‘Churt’ of Surrey, their respective place of birth.

White Stubbs, Guildford Road

was one of three houses called ‘Freemoor Cottages’ and is now again called ‘Freemoor’. The other two are ‘Spinney Cottage’ and ‘Tabeel’.

Willow Cottage, Glaziers Lane

built in about 1907 was formerly 1 West View, Station Road.

Willow Drive

a post war, modern development of bungalows on a former poultry smallholding known as Canonslea, Flexford Road.

Willowroo, Pribright Road

was Ghezirah, Normandy Park Road.

Wynnstay, Pirbright Road

was The Swealed Cat, derelict in 1953. It was demolished and new dwelling named in 1959 by June and Peter Long, the first owner/occupiers, after Wynnstay Hotel, Machynlleth, their honeymoon hotel in Wales.

Wyke Cottage, Guildford Road

It was so named until the early 1900s when it became known as Wyke Lodge.

Wyke Lodge, Guildford Road

Until the early 1900s, it was known as Wyke Cottage.

Wyke Heather, Pirbright Road

the third concrete house to be built in about 1931 by the Instone Family (Alfred the father and his two sons Albert and Cleft), was where there were large areas covered in heather and so being in the parochial parish of Wyke was named Wyke Heather.

Top of Page

Yeolan, Flexford Road

built in 1933 and occupied by the Yeoman family. The derivation is a coupling from Yeo and Lan (Langford - maiden name).

Click Here
Download as Excel file
Last Updated 21st May 2015
If you have any more information on place or house names in Normandy please let us know.

Home Page
Back to Index
© Copyright by Normandy Historians All Rights Reserved.